Sunday, May 18, 2008

Toe Up Cast on and the Video

I finished the first of my New Pathway socks, Sunrise with the Sidestream architecture. It was so much fun to make. I am actually knitting it on 2 US size 4 circs with Cascade 20! Yes, the first sock went fast. I started it as a knitalong at my LYS so had lots of help with the cast on.
Now I sit here on my couch this sunny Sunday in Northern California watching the videos of Cat doing the Judy Becker Magic Cast on.

I am going to give it a go shortly and then get moving on the 2nd sock. I must say, this first sock caused me to learn so much. For those of you out there who do not think you can tackle these socks and different techniques, let me say that You Can. Step 1 is to read the first few pages of the book. Then it is good to see what new things you want to learn with the first sock. For me, it was knitting on 2 circs, toe up with magic cast on, short row heel and the Elizabeth Zimmerman sewn cast off. Quite a list of new things but taken one at a time (which you do with these patterns), I got them done. 

Next is to watch the videos, they were a real find for me was . Once I saw them, it was smooth sailing.  Then pick a sock. 

The thing that is so cool about the Sidestream is just that, it is on the one side. Now I have to pay attention to make sure I know which foot I did first and then follow the other foot directions. Whew, another new thing!

Also, I decided to jump around the book and try the designs as they catch my fancy. Are other deciding to start at the beginning and go through each design?

Have a good Sunday everyone, rain or shine, it's a day for socks (or at least sock knitting). 

1 comment:

Sandra D. said...

Definitely NOT starting at the beginning and working through. Too much fun just pick a sock and go for it! I did do the first two little socks, though.